Recently I was looking for some cheap boards which would allow me to play with the STM32F103 microcontroller and I’ve found that Aliexpress has couple of versions of them sold quite cheap by various sellers, with a very affordable price tag. There are various incarnations of these boards, and with difference in the price range, so I went with these two in the end:
There are a lot of sellers on ebay selling cheaply 320×240 LCDs with touch screen together with a microcontroller board. Usually the development board contains a STM32F103 microcontroller (sometimes different) with or without some additional hardware. As an exemplification one of such sold configuration is:
- 3.2″ TFT LCD Module, 320 * 240 pixels resolution, 26m colors.
- Resistive touch screen, with XPT2046 Controller.
- 4-6 leds
- Twobuttons connected to GPIO lines
- Serial communication interface
- 2 mini-type USB socket, USB to RS232 and USB Device
- 1 Micro SD card connector
- A JTAG / SWD debug interface (20pin)
- RTC battery
- USB Power Supply
This web page not only has some information about how these boards could be used, but also provide some sample code using the LCD and a downloadable virtual image, containing:
- Ubuntu desktop
- ARM toolchain (gcc + newlib)
- Eclipse C++ IDE
- stm32loader.py – for loading code into the board
- openocd – for loading code and debugging
- Example FreeRTOS project with all source code, include LCD+touch drivers and a simple menuing system to get you started quickly
Isn’t that awesome?
For the original article and the link for downloading the virtual image, follow this link.